Thursday, April 26, 2007

Ruffed Grouse


This grouse and I went for a nice walk through the woods. I followed it leisurely for atleast 30 minutes, trying to get a good shot. In the dense folliage, he wasn't flying away, but also wouldn't let me get too close. I never walked directly towards it, always just to the side, trying to get it to stop moving. Their first line of defense is camouflage, if they think they are not seen they freeze. I would lose site of it for a minute, until it moved again. So hard to see this little dude, even from 10 feet! Almost got myself into trouble. Wandered a little far off the beaten track. Didn't plan on trecking so late in the day. I realized I only had about 1 hour of sun left. I was lost, no compass, no food, no flashlight, looked like it was going to rain, in the middle of cougar and grizzly country. If you think you are scared of being in the forrest alone at night, in Ontario, try it in Kananaskis Country where there are true human predators. Oh my word!!! I'm more scared in the middle of the day here, than the middle of the night in Ontario. I did my best to stay calm and found my car just in time! Whew!

No comments: