Friday, February 23, 2007

American Dipper

Shot in low light conditions from about 60' with new telephoto zoom lense, not too bad concidering. These little guys use their wings like penguins to fly under water. They eat aquatic insects/larvae, minnows and stuff. I suppose in the middle of winter they are eating crustaceans.? They can dive 6 meters and even walk on the bottom while foraging!!
I can see a slight brown hue to most of the head, in several shots, on more than one bird. Can't find any mention of it in the detailed bird book desciptions. Hmm, it should be noted.
It's head is fully submersed, between two rocks, probably gleaning.
How's my camouflauge while I forage? Lol, play spot the dipper.
This is the cave where I'm sure they are nesting. There is a better prospective shot further down the blog. I could hear them loud and clear, over the rumble of the falls. Long warbles, buzzes and trills.

No comments: